Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mizuno Wave Run 2012

Last Sunday was the Mizuno Wave Run in UPM, Selangor. The distance for the race was 10k. I have been to this venue but it was for the Salomon X-Trail Run, which was pretty fun even though the trail was littered with horse dung, but I digress.

To be honest I have not ran this distance for the past 3 weeks, as I have been focusing more on shorter distances of 6k with hard hills as well as strength training. As such, I didn't  have a specific time goal in mind, just that I had to beat my previous run for a 10k which was the Salomon X-Trail run.

So the race found me awake at ungodly hour of 4 plus a.m. because I am paranoid of over-sleeping like that, and I was out driving about 5 plus a.m. Found the venue (without getting lost, yes!!) at about 6 plus a.m. and waited for the race to start. It feels weird this time going to a race alone, because I have always been going with friends, somehow or rather.


Anyways, flag off was at 7a.m. with a lot of pushing and shoving at the front. But I was at a comfortable pace of about 5mins per km. Oh, I am getting good at estimating my pace these days, even without a watch. Must be a thing you pick up along the way as you run more. The course was relatively flat for me for the first 4km. However, the route got more interesting thereon with lots of hills (near the ERL track) and with more people at the end (because the men were flagged off 10 minutes after the race). My running partner was running as well and I knew he would pass me at one point in the race (because he is seriously fast and 10 minutes head start won't mean much then). But he surpassed me at the 7km mark, which I think isn't too bad :p

The final km was killer as the last hill was the worst I have ever seen. Probably at an angle of 45 and for a shorty like me, oh boyyyyy..that hill felt like an eternity and 500 metres ahead was the finishing line at the stadium :)

I was basically running with all the words my running partner/coach would tell me when we train, "balls of your feet, balls of your feet" and "don't stop, don't stop" when going hard on the hills. All in all a good place to practice and it was a good race!

Results were out the next day and I completed the race in 1:04, coming in at 73 out of 600 plus women! Ok lahhhh, much better than my Salomon time of 1:10. Definitely space for improvement (as always). I think I need a new route to tackle hard hills and improve my speed. My split time was 33:42. I want a split time of below 30 minutes for my next 10k.

Goal: Below 1 hour for my next 10k!





No comments:

Post a Comment